Top: World's first 360-degree Panorama of Ushguli, Svaneti, Georgia, Feb 24/2009, from 12 separate photos...

Wednesday 22 April 2009

Ushguli, Svaneti, Georgia

More water-ice interactions making beauty

I knew that the electricity guys'd be working on our transformer - that was why we had no electricity in the upper 3/4 of the village for a few days.  I leisurely took a few shots of them digging up the old one in preparation to receive the new one - and then the latter was installed very fast while I was at home, and I missed the great event.  Oh well, you win some, you lose some

This is the effect of flowing water on the snow above it:  splashing up, melting it, refreezing it into ice, which hangs down but instead of tapering it widens, making these fantastic penduli (pendulums?)


2 comments:

Smorg said...

It looks rather uncomfortably cold there (especially with no electricity due to bad transformer!), but man... really nice shots of ice and water! :o)

Back home in Missouri we have ice storms every winter, and I loved watching the consequences of it (except when the iced up trees decided to burst and knock down the roof or a power line, that is. Here in San Diego it just never gets cold enough even for snow.

Cheerio,
Smorg :o)

Anthony (Tony) Hanmer said...

Well, the main place I notice the cold is around my feet when I'm sitting still at home, reading or working on the laptop etc. This despite multiple pairs of socks and thick wool slippers... When I'm out there walking or photographing, I tend not to notice the elements at all - useful to a degree, but dangerous I suppose if things get TOO hot, cold, etc. But I sure do love winter's beauty, even if the cold gets to be a bit much sometimes.