Top: World's first 360-degree Panorama of Ushguli, Svaneti, Georgia, Feb 24/2009, from 12 separate photos...

Monday 20 April 2009

Ushguli, Svaneti, Georgia

Three images from a small patch of ground today.  I discovered it on the way to a more obviously interesting part of the village, somewhere with big landscapes - Tamar's Summer Tower, if I remember.  But I'm usually on the lookout for details in nature as well, so this intriguing little unfolding drama presented itself to me.

What is it, you might ask?  The answer might change your opinion of whether the photos are beautiful or not.  They are formed from interactions between solids and liquids at temperatures just above 0 degrees C... in a place frequented by the village's farm animals; in other words, from their manure and urine freezing and thawing on the ground.  Hey, I walk through this stuff every day from anywhere to anywhere else, in my rubber boots, no longer noticing the look, the feel or the smell.


No comments: