Top: World's first 360-degree Panorama of Ushguli, Svaneti, Georgia, Feb 24/2009, from 12 separate photos...

Thursday 17 May 2007

the W()RD

There really are some weird ways of playing with a language.

A palindrome is a word or phrase which reads the same forwards or backwards - in other words, its collection of letters is reversed halfway through. There are many famous examples. Here are a few favourites of mine from the internet, their discoverers (or so they have been attributed) noted at the end of each set.

Doc note, I dissent. A fast never prevents a fatness. I diet on cod.
If I had a hi-fi

(Dan Hoey)
Hoey@AIC.NRL.Navy.Mil

Rise to vote, sir.
Top step's pup's pet spot.
Cigar? Toss it in a can, it is so tragic.
Oh, no! Don Ho!
Lisa Bonet ate no basil.
Man, Oprah's sharp on A.M.!
Damn! I, Agassi, miss again! Mad!
Neil A. sees alien!
Sis, ask Costner to not rent socks "As Is"!
A dog! A panic in a pagoda!
Draw, o coward!
Kayak salad - Alaska yak.
Ma is a nun, as I am.
Must sell at tallest sum.
Never odd or even.
No lemons, no melon.
Party boobytrap.
"Reviled did I live," said I, "as evil I did deliver."
Senile Felines
So, Ida, adios!
Star comedy by Democrats.
Strategem: megatarts.
Yawn a more Roman way.

(John Jensen)
jejensen@ccs.carleton.ca

No comments: