Top: World's first 360-degree Panorama of Ushguli, Svaneti, Georgia, Feb 24/2009, from 12 separate photos...

Monday 16 February 2009

Limpari, Ushguli, Svaneti, Georgia

Woke up to a near-blizzard today, and sure enough, the electricity failed soon after that.  Never mind, I thought - I have enough laptop and cellphone battery time to get a post ready for the blog anyway.  But when it came time to connect to the internet, this vital link failed - couldn't get a connection straight onto the cellphone either, so something was up with the Magti (ISP) link.  Frustration, depression, as I've pledged to post every day from Ushguli if at all possible.  I called a friend in Tbilisi & asked him to post a note to my blog this evening from me, noting the problem; but now, at mid-afternoon, the sun has come out and our heroes, the electricity repair guys in Mulakhi village, have done their thing.   I think that what I must do is send several posts with far-future dates as emergency backups; then, when power or something else fails, I can just ask someone to go to one of those posts & change the date on it to the date of the problem, forcing it to be posted immediately...

On to yesterday's pictures!  Limpari is a Svan festival of fire and the upcoming harvest.  I was at it here last year as well, and this time a number of things went wrong.  The fire refused to start, even when a good-sized bottle of diesel was added to it - not enough small stuff in there to catch and light the bigger stuff, if you ask me.  Then, once it did get going nicely, after about 5 minutes the whole tipi fell over!  Next, a big fat candle, made of a smaller candle from each family twisted together, refused to stick properly to the watchtower wall, cfalling off while they were in the middle of prayers on one knee! And then the table set up against the tower wall, laden with dishes of food and drink offerings, fell down when one of its log supports broke; so the whole plank had to be rested on the snow at the tower's base instead.  There was at least one photograph which I missed as a result, of the frying pan full of coals from the bonfire on  the table with the tower going on up the sky behind it.  But never mind, I think I got a few pictures to show what the event was about.  The last of these shows a supra, or Georgian feast, to which I was invited afterwards; table and benches put right onto the snow.  There wasn't much on hand - until Lado showed up with a bowl of mountain sheep shish kebabs, which cheered the mood considerably.  I stayed for several hours, but remained dry as I have no interest in getting drunk, which is all to easy for a not-too-large European with a low alcohol tolerance in comparison with Georgians or Svans.  "all in all, a good time was had by all..." At least the weather was nice and sunny.



No comments: